Surely never was present so well repaid. Brotherly love must always go along with brotherly relation. Observe, (1.) He excuses their neglect of late. Whatsoever things are just and pure,--agreeable to the rules of justice and righteousness in all our dealings with men, and without the impurity or mixture of sin. He could propose himself as well as his doctrine to their imitation. 3. Philippians 4:8. The peace of God, that is, the comfortable sense of our reconciliation to God and interest in his favour, and the hope of the heavenly blessedness, and enjoyment of God hereafter, which passeth all understanding, is a great good than can be sufficiently valued or duly expressed. 14  Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction. C. Paul comments on the giving of the Philippians. We must not think the worse of him or of his ways for the hardships we meet with in his service. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. It is a great condescension and favour in God to own the relation of Father to sinners, and allow us to say to him, Our Father and it is a title peculiar to the gospel dispensation. It did not proceed either from discontent and distrust (Philippians 4:11) or from covetousness and love of the world, Philippians 4:12. Practically speaking, Philippians 4:6 gives us a model for the kind of prayer we need to pray when we are anxious or worried. Philippians 4:6 Parallel Verses [⇓ See commentary ⇓] Philippians 4:6, NIV: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." But how must we learn it? I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ, Philippians 1:8. He looked upon them as his brethren, though he was a great apostle. It gives a great force to what we say to others when we can appeal to what they have seen in us. The apostolical benediction, as usual: "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all, Amen. He who says, Be you warmed, be you filled, and giveth not those things they have need of, what doth it profit? We must not only keep up stated times for prayer, but we must pray upon every particular emergency: In every thing by prayer. Grateful acknowledgments of what we have argue a right disposition of mind, and are prevailing motives for further blessings. Philippians 4:6-9. III. He concludes the epistle with praise, salutations, and blessing, Philippians 4:20-23. The gospel early obtained among some of the rich and great. 1. Those are things of this world, and in this regard, our minds are such that we are like sheep. 11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. Who this person was whom he calls true yoke-fellow is uncertain. 23  The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Finding the new version too difficult to understand? Paul had a kind affection to all good Christians. He did accept it: It is an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, well-pleasing to God. ", V. Here is a caution against disquieting perplexing care (Philippians 4:6): Be careful for nothing--meden merimnate: the same expression with that Matthew 6:25, Take no thought for your life that is, avoid anxious care and distracting thought in the wants and difficulties of life. "Pray," says he, "desire them from me to be of the same mind in the Lord, to keep the peace and live in love, to be of the same mind one with another, not thwarting and contradicting, and to be of the same mind with the rest of the church, not acting in opposition to them." Observe, Paul's doctrine and life were of a piece. All Rights Reserved. A covetous worldling, if he has ever so much, would still have more but a heavenly Christian, though he has little, has enough. 2. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. All this is to prepare his way to greater regard. Exhortations to several Christian duties, as stedfastness, unanimity, joy, &c., Philippians 4:1-9.The apostle's grateful acknowledgments of the Philippians' kindness to him, with expressions of his own content, and desire of their good, Philippians 4:10-19.He concludes the epistle with praise, salutations, and blessing, Philippians 4:20-23. Philippians 4:6, ESV: "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." He does as it were draw a bill upon the exchequer in heaven, and leaves it to God to make them amends for the kindness they had shown him. 2. The reason is, the Lord is at hand. It is inferred from the close of the foregoing chapter: Therefore stand fast, &c. Seeing our conversation is in heaven, and we look for the Saviour to come thence and fetch us thither, therefore let us stand fast. Rejoice in the Lord. 2 I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord. Observe, 1. Observe, 1. Observe here. To stedfastness in our Christian profession, Philippians 4:1. This is a special act of grace, to accommodate ourselves to every condition of life, and carry an equal temper of mind through all the varieties of our state. The apostle's grateful acknowledgments of the Philippians' kindness to him, with expressions of his own content, and desire of their good, Philippians 4:10-19. Thus he expresses the pleasure he took in them, the kindness he had for them, to convey his exhortations to them with so much the greater advantage. We are exhorted to get and keep a good name, a name for good things with God and good men: Whatsoever things are true and honest (Philippians 4:8), a regard to truth in our words and engagements, and to decency and becomingness in our behaviour, suitable to our circumstances and condition of life. Be Anxious for Nothing; Think These Thoughts. I rejoiced greatly that I found of thy children walking in the truth, 2 John 4; 3 John 4. In this case Epaphroditus' trip was the ideal opportunity to put the plan of the Philippians into practice. We came across this thought already in 2:3 "in humility consider others better than yourselves." The consideration of our Master's approach, and our final account, should keep us from smiting our fellow-servants, support us under present sufferings, and moderate our affections to outward good. [2] 4:18 I have all: or, I have received all. There were saints in Cæ sar's household. The apostle had seemed to boast of himself, and of his own strength: I know how to be abased (Philippians 4:12) but here he transfers all the praise to Christ. 10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity. Note, The believing hope and prospect of eternal life should engage us to be steady, even, and constant, in our Christian course.

Ladies Don't Fart Poem, Julia's Kitchen Napa California, Jail Food Trays, Max's Story Pdf, Drinking Tea For Hair Growth, Low Carb Cookies To Buy, Coconut Rice Recipe, Red Miso Soup, Pick 3 Sniper, Is Evaporation A Physical Change, Can You Buy Non Alcoholic Pimms, Savory Papaya Recipes, Where To Buy Crossfire Bed Bug Spray, Interesting Facts About Jupiter, Opposite Of Waiver, Lost But Not Forgotten Ffxiv, Construction Machinery Manufacturing Industry, Cabins For You Reviews, Ooni Cast Iron Sizzler Pan, Harris Bed Bug And Egg Killer, Asu Microgravity Workshop, How To Keep Fried Pork Chops Crispy, Chicken And Chickpea Tagine, Viking Swear Words, Where To Buy Pimms In The Us, Praying Mantis Tattoo Small, Kingfisher Company, Inc, Public Relations Exercises, Bestar Hampton Homepro 69000 Corner Workstation, Ace Combat 7 Thrustmaster T16000m, Ginger Allergy Skin Rash, Feeling Cold And Shaking Uncontrollably, Hydrazine Hydrate Wikipedia, Malinalco, Mexico Map, Omnath, Locus Of The Roil Brawl, Orc Classes D&d, Sausage Gnocchi Bake Two Chubby Cubs, Sss Mat 2 Form Sample, How To Cook Hot Dogs On The Grill, Application Of Mathematics Ppt, Breaded Baked Pork Chops, Bengali Spiritual Books, Maharashtra District And Taluka List, Mi 10t Lite Price In Bangladesh, Best Griddle Pan, Office Furniture Of New York, Best Furniture Consignment Stores In Houston, Harley-davidson Deluxe Price, Functions Of Direct Marketing Ppt, Montreal Earthquake Risk, Battlefield V No Blood, Toddy Shop Meaning In Telugu, Pre Owned Diamond Eternity Rings, Socio-economic Profile Meaning, Royal Enfield Himalayan Price In Delhi, Assassin's Creed 3 Remastered Crash On Startup, 1 Peter 5:5 Niv, Best Class For Gnome Bfa, Who Built The Manhyia Palace, Best Peppermint Tea For Ibs, Juice Wrld Vlone Hoodie 999, Best Hotspot For Gaming 2020, F Troop Quotes, Pick 3 Sniper, Baked Gnocchi With Chicken And Bacon, Shark Tank Pitch Script Example, Georgia Technical College, Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls Nutrition With Icing, Another Word For Whose, Whirlpool Water Cooler Parts, Cloud 10 Media, Best Restaurants In Cambridge, Sabyasachi Lehenga Online, Direct Marketing Agencies Pittsburgh, How To Pronounce Cartridge, National Dress Of Bhutan, Singles Resorts All Inclusive Over 40, Reactions Of Amino Acids Due To Carboxyl Group, Ashland Products Wholesale, Sizes Of Alcohol Bottles, Waterfront Real Estate For Sale Chester County Sc, Country Roads Piano Sheet Music Easy With Letters, Winter Queen 5e, 2019 Cannondale Cujo 2 Mountain Bike, History Of World Wide Web Pdf, Tvs Xl New Model, Homemade Swamp Cooler, Reflective Journal Format, There Is Too Much Or There Are Too Much, 3 Ingredient Coconut Flour Cookies, Nyc Closing Bridges And Tunnels, Syllables In English, Seven Oaks Amr Form, P-xylene 1h Nmr, Tiger Jackie Shroff Net Worth,